Rv Insurance – Are You Sure You Are Covered?


RV Insurance rates will vary tremendously according to your state of registry
and even your domicile. You will pay a lot more to insure the same vehicle or rig in
New York City, L.A. or Detroit than you would in Montana, or rural Texas or Arkansas.
Think traffic volume and crime rates and you’ll get the picture in a hurry. How that
makes sense on a vehicle that is admittedly going to travel all over creation,
remains a mystery to all but those infallible underwriters.Why go to a “Specialized Company”? Well would you get your annual medical at a Dentist
or eat steak at a sea food restaurant? Yeah, I guess you could but you would be better
served at a diagnostician and a steak house. Like all business, Insurance Companies
are made up of people and they tend to develop more of a comfort level in a limited
field than broad generalists. It’s like buying your R.V., you could get one from the
local used car lot or you can deal with a major R.V. dealer, you just know who can
best answer your questions.The same will apply to insurance companies staff. While the insurance industry has a
host of “General” companies offering so called “All Lines”, R.V.’s would fall in the
same category as trucking, marine, aviation, transportation, jewelers blocks, furriers bonds etc. All these lines gave rise to a small number of specialized companies that
limit their marketing to their chosen field and accordingly develop staff expertise
closely related to these fields, allowing them to deal much more expeditiously with their
clients. (Well you asked!!)There is major differences to covering a Class “C” and a Fiver. One is a self propelled
motorized vehicle while the other is an attachment to a Motor Vehicle. Coverage for
physical damage, read fire, theft, collision, upset, vandalism, windstorm, in short any
damage to the R.V. itself, would be covered in very similar fashion on both units. Where
the big difference comes in is in the Liability for Bodily Injury or Property Damage to
others that the “MOTOR” vehicle might occasion. The class “C”‘s premium will be all
inclusive and require only one policy. The fiver will require it’s own policy that will
also afford liability coverage for injuries or damage to property of others but that is
meant to cover the unit when it is stationary!!! Think slip and falls, dog bites, theft
etc. With the fiver, you will also have a standard auto policy to cover your truck, and
it will cover all “rolling” liability issues. (Confused yet?)R.V. Insurance will normally be written on a replacement cost basis, in other words,
no depreciation if your unit is destroyed by whatever! I understand that coverage for
Additional Living Expense is offered by some companies and would be a must for full timers.
That is likely something that non-specialized companies would not offer.In closing, to illustrate what I mean, my old firm has a deep discount plan for retired
employees. When I got into R.V.ing, I figured I would save money by insuring both the
fiver and truck with them. Well after some fifteen minutes of trying to explain what a
fifth wheel trailer was, what I meant by secured storage lot, truck hitch, etc. etc. I
gave up, insured the Silverado with them at a fantastic rate but paid full retail for
my fiver at a “Specialist” Company. I strongly recommend that you insure both units
with the same company. Not only will that likely make you eligible for a “multi vehicle
discount”, it will avoid inter-company squabbles in case of coverage overlap, which can


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s